The January 2009 PNEUMA INFORMER
In this issue
What's New at www.PneumaFoundation.orgNew Links and Content Worth Noticing
- The Pneuma Foundation is pleased to add content to our website as a resource to our members and friends around the world. We also add links to content that we are not able to republish ourselves, but may be of interest. Here are some examples of links added recently to "Links to Articles & Books" www.pneumafoundation.org/links_articles.jsp and from "Links to Study Resources" www.pneumafoundation.org/links_study.jsp
- The largest list of Pentecostal/charismatic Bible Schools available online anywhere. http://www.pneumafoundation.org/links_schools.jsp
Add your school: http://www.pneumafoundation.org/links.jsp#link
- Christian Leadership: Lillian Daniel, "A Cast of Thousands" The mission of the church is not efficiency, but developing all its people. "At my daughter's elementary school musical, the printed program noted: 'This musical was originally written for 15 actors, but it has been adapted to accommodate our cast of 206.' You know what kind of show this was. No-cut auditions, no performer left without something special to do. They danced, they sang, they delivered lines, and somehow 206 children graced the stage that night" (Leadership Fall 2008). http://www.christianitytoday.com/le/2008/fall/19.33.html
- "Taking Slackers to Task" Teen twins Alex and Brett Harris call their peers to something more (CTOnline). http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2008/octoberweb-only/143-21.0.html
- Mike Fehlauer, "The Seduction of Success " (Ministry Today). http://ministrytodaymag.com/index.php/ministry-leadership/ethics/217-the-seduction-of-success
- Jack Hayford, "What's Really Important" Examining the principles that are essential in leading a congregation to maturity and fruitfulness. http://ministrytodaymag.com/display_cms.php?id=1242
- Chris Armstrong, "Signs and Wonders: The Charismatic Power of Early Christianity" When we teach about the early church, we frequently omit the story of spiritual gifts (Christian History Blog). http://www.christianitytodayblogs.com/history/2009/01/signs_and_wonders_the_charisma_1.html
- Christian History: The Altar Call Popularized by frontier camp meetings and Charles Finney's "anxious bench," the altar call became an evangelistic staple of American churches (Christian History Blog). http://www.christianitytoday.com/ch/thepastinthepresent/storybehind/walktheaisle.html
- In Depth Resources: Flaw of the Excluded Middle Entry from Evangelical Dictionary of World Missions (Baker, 2000) available from "Folk Religions" course notes, taught at Wheaton by Dr. A. Scott Moreau. http://www.wheaton.edu/intr/Moreau/courses/565/documents.htm
For more In Depth Resources, visit: http://www.pneumafoundation.org/resources/in_depth.jsp
"Glorifying God While Keeping Secret Believers Safe" by Calvin Smith
Read this special report on PneumaReview.com: http://pneumareview.com/glorifying-god-while-keeping-secret-believers-safe.
Calvin L. Smith, Ph. D., Principal of King's Evangelical Divinity School (United Kingdom), and editor of the Evangelical Review of Society and Politics.
Excerpts from THE PNEUMA REVIEW
THE PNEUMA REVIEW is a quarterly printed journal of ministry resources and theology for Pentecostal and charismatic ministries and leaders. For more information about THE PNEUMA REVIEW, and to learn how to subscribe, please visit: Introducing THE PNEUMA REVIEW. www.pneumafoundation.org/intro_pr.jsp
Buy THE PNEUMA REVIEW online at Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000D8CY9
Write a review online for THE PNEUMA REVIEW!
For a full index of the contents of all Pneuma Review issues, visit: http://www.pneumafoundation.org/pr_archive.jsp.
"A Movement Actually on the Move" by Tony Richie
From the Winter 2009 issue
A Movement Actually on the Move: An Appreciative Response to "An Evangelical Manifesto"
By Tony Richie
Read the full article on PneumaReview.com: http://pneumareview.com/a-movement-actually-on-the-move-an-appreciative-response-to-an-evangelical-manifesto.
Tony Richie, D.Min, D.Th. (candidate), a bishop in the Church of God (Cleveland, TN), is pastor of New Harvest in Knoxville, TN and does adjunct teaching at Church of God Theological Seminary (Cleveland, TN) and Church of God South American Seminary (Quito, Ecuador). He also serves the Society for Pentecostal Studies as liaison to the Interfaith Relations Committee of the National Council of Churches. His articles that have appeared in numerous Christian academic journals.
Read more reviews and articles from the Winter 2009 issue of THE PNEUMA REVIEW www.pneumafoundation.org/intro_pr.jspBook Review: A Book You Will Actually Read On Church Leadership
From the Winter 2009 issue
Mark Driscoll, A Book You Will Actually Read On Church Leadership (Wheaton: Crossway, 2008), 96 pages, ISBN 9781433501371
Read the review on PneumaReview.com: http://pneumareview.com/mark-driscoll-a-book-you-will-actually-read-on-church-leadership.
Ron Messelink , left the business world in 1992 to pursue the call to ministry. A graduate from Grace School of Ministry, he founded Grace Life Church where he has ministered for over 12 years. Ron's passion is for people to know and experience the reality of Christ in you, the hope of glory. He and his family reside in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Read the rest of this review and many other articles in the Winter 2009 issue of THE PNEUMA REVIEW www.pneumafoundation.org/intro_pr.jsp
Resources You Can Use
Receive MINISTRY TODAY online
Strang Communications, publishers of periodicals such as CHARISMA magazine, is making their magazine for ministry leaders available online without cost.
Read a recent issue: http://digital.ministrytodaymag.com and signup to continue receiving announcements about the latest issue here: digital.ministrytodaymag.com/signup
You may also sign up to receive CHARISMA magazine online here: digital.charismamag.com/signup
Need a Registration Service for your next Event?
They charge a tiny commission for nearly everything, charging a flat rate of $3 per donation if you want them to receive donations on your behalf. But if you have not set up a merchant account or a PayPal business account, you will find their rates competitive. RegOnline.com offers you some great tools for building the web pages and forms.
Source: Brigada Today 2009/01/18
Praying for the Unreached
Don Marchant writes: "I am convinced that, when enough of us pray for the 10,000 Unreached Peoples, God will sweep around the excellent work of our gallant missionaries with his powerful anointing and super-enabling, and the UPs will be reached more speedily.
"It's been 2000 years, and still 40% of the world's population are beyond the influence of our efforts. I do the research and send out weekly emails, each featuring one UP, the same one as is featured by Global Prayer Digest for the following Sunday. I encourage pastors to take my bullet-points to their pulpits so they can inform and motivate their congregation to pray... and then lead them in brief but earnest prayer for that UP. "
Don Marchant is the author of Equipped to Go to an Unreached People, published by Vision International.
Conflict Coaching Training
Peace and reconciliation reveal the health of your church, glorify Jesus Christ, enhance your witness, and stimulate church growth.
When a church experiences conflict, the results can be devastating - couples divorce, families are torn apart, pastors resign, churches split, and our witness for Christ is lost. It doesn't have to be like this.
Peacemaker Ministries is offering Conflict Coaching Training at The Chapel, in Akron, Ohio, on March 27-28, 2008.
Conflict Coaching provides you with tools to help guide an individual toward Christ-like behavior in a personal conflict with another individual.
For more Biblical Peacemaking seminars in your area, visit: http://bookstore.peacemaker.net/blog/?p=223.
- Mission leader Steve K. asks for prayer about the following: Preaching in Presbyterian church in Pattaya. Preaching on every Saturday morning at the Park. Mission Support.
- Uzbekistan: Church Learning to Overcome amidst Persecution. Throughout 2008, the Christians in Uzbekistan continued to face persecution from the government. This has included police raiding church services, harassment, confiscation and even destruction of Bibles and other Christian material, arrest and detention of church leaders and members, fines and imprisonment, sometimes with beatings. Some large registered churches have been closed down. Mass media continue negative coverage of the Protestant churches, resulting in harsher persecution of Christians by society. However, the persecution has also resulted positively in a growing consolidation, unity and mutual help amongst Christians, as well as stronger prayer and fasting. Christians in Uzbekistan ask us to pray that they may be 100 percent victorious amidst persecution!
Source: WEA Religious Liberty Commission - RLP 511 | Uzbekistan: Church Learning to Overcome amidst Persecution
- Please join with the volunteer staff of the Pneuma Foundation, praying that God will enable us to continue to carry out the mission He has entrusted us with. We currently are in need of financial resources, volunteers for website projects, appropriate articles for The Pneuma Review, and most of all your prayers that God will allow us to help equip others for effective ministry.
- Pastor DN in India writes: "Really it was a great joyful time for all of us to worship our lord Jesus Christ in this Christmas season. Hope, this season was a great blessing time for you all. We pray that you have a prosperous New Year 2009.
"Please pray for my 30 Pastors/Evangelists, who are striving to save this Hindu country India."
- Pastor James writes: "Thank you for your kind regards. When the church is brought low, the true child of God is fed with tears. The word of God is worth contending for.
"Please pray for the following requests: 1) Pray for the orphans to have food, clothing and medicine. 2) Pray for us to have roofing for our churches. 3) Pray for us to have Bibles for our churches. 4) Pray for us to have bikes for our pastors and evangelists." Reference Number: 90033983