The August 2011 PNEUMA INFORMER
In this issue
What's New at www.PneumaFoundation.orgNew Links and Content Worth Noticing
- The Pneuma Foundation is pleased to add content to our website as a resource to our members and friends around the world. We also add links to content that we are not able to republish ourselves, but may be of interest. Here are some examples of links added recently to "Links to Articles & Books" www.pneumafoundation.org/links_articles.jsp and from "Links to Study Resources" www.pneumafoundation.org/links_study.jsp
- The largest list of Pentecostal/charismatic Bible Schools available online anywhere. http://www.pneumafoundation.org/links_schools.jsp
Add your school: http://www.pneumafoundation.org/links.jsp#link
- Church Leadership: Gordon MacDonald, "Going Deep: Cultivating people of spiritual depth is a pastor's top priority (Leadership Journal). christianitytoday.com/le/2011/spring/goingdeep.html
- J. Lee Grady, "Getting the Weirdness Out of the Prophetic Movement" charismamag.com/index.php/fire-in-my-bones/30684-getting-the-weirdness-out-of-the-prophetic-movement
- Guide to Early Church Documents Large collection of resources to help you study the early church. Recommended by Jessie C. www.phd-programs-online.net/church-documents
- Divine Healing: Larry Keefauver, "The Myths of Faith Healing" Keefauver debunks three myths: that Jesus cannot heal someone without faith, that everyone who "stands fast in faith" will be physically healed in time and space, and that if you "confess your healing" you will be healed right now. charismamag.com/index.php/charisma-channels/spiritled-living/20588-the-myths-of-faith-healing
Join us on Facebook
Add us to your Likes: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Pneuma-Foundation/120599944618303
Reports from Around the World
Iran: Persecution Backfires
Regime's antagonism is increasing Christianity's appeal. christianitytoday.com/ct/2011/june/publicenemy.html
Haiti: Voodoo priests come to Christ
There is a revival taking place in northwest Haiti that has grown out of a prayer effort to reclaim the country from voodooism. The group led by Pastor Robert Ulysse committed to pray at every crossroad in the city, and God moved. According to Ulysse, voodoo leaders not only came to watch, but many were saved. Ulysse says some people said they would wait to see if Christians could hold the services at the crossroads without being struck dead. With fear overcome, many gave their hearts to Christ.
Source: Adapted from Mission Network News, 8 August, 2011. Full story: http://www.mnnonline.org/article/16062
Church of God Celebrates 125 Years
Church of God celebrating 125 years (Cleveland, TN) www.charismamag.com/index.php/news/31744-church-of-god-celebrates-125-years
Watch the video "This is the Church of God" charismamag.com/index.php/news/31746-video-this-is-the-church-of-god
Arab Spring brings little change, Muslims still seeking
With a new government in Egypt, an end in sight for Libya civil war, and relative peace elsewhere, the Arab Spring is coming to a close. Yet Fouad Masri, founder of the Crescent Project, says although more freedom is a good thing, "None of these things have changed any laws. Even when you say there was a change of government in Egypt, well, the laws have not changed concerning Christian-Muslim relations." Who knows what change will really come? Still, the Arab Spring has at least spurred questions: "'Is it true that Islam is the only way? Is it true that Islam is the perfect religion? Is it true that Islam solves all the problems? Is it true that the political structure of Islam is the only structure?' And they're finding out it's not true," says Masri. Crescent Project is answering these questions by training believers to tell Muslims in the U.S. about Christ. "Whenever a Muslim becomes a believer in Jesus, now they're shining in their household, with their cousins, with their neighbors, with their countrymen."
Source: Adapted from Mission Network News, 31 August, 2011. Full story: http://www.mnnonline.org/article/16176
Zimbabwe: Churches told to support ruling party or expect consequences
The Mugabe regime, known for violent repressions, is targeting a wide spectrum of congregations.
Turkey: Religious communities invited to reclaim state-confiscated properties
After 75 years, Jewish and Christian communities are invited to reclaim historic religious properties, overturning seizures.
El Salvador: Miracle well yields water
News and Headlines
When a church mission team left El Salvador with no success after several attempts to drill a well, who would have thought that a miracle would happen. After drilling two holes, they left thinking defeated. The national team of Living Water International decided to go back. They drilled even more, without success. On their third attempt, they drilled 70 meters - but still nothing. The villagers then held a worship and prayer time despite the lack of water ... and a miracle occurred: the well filled with water! Pray that many will come to Christ as a result seeing God at work.
Source: Mission Network News, 8 August, 2011. http://www.mnnonline.org/article/16065
for Current News and Links
See other news to pray and praise God about in the Prayer Requests department below.
Report the News
We are looking for stories about what God is doing in the world, reports about the persecution of Christians, and information about significant trends and ministry opportunities. If you have a news item to report, please send an email to the PNEUMA INFORMER. http://www.pneumafoundation.org/contactus.jsp
Conversations with Readers
We love pneumafoundation.org!
I really appreciate your collection of resources on the pneumafoundation.org website, www.pneumafoundation.org/links_study.jsp.
I became interested in analyzing early church documents after I was assigned a research project in the field. While doing said research, I ended up finding a great article here: www.phd-programs-online.net/church-documents, that covers all areas of early church documents. I also came across your site and thought I might pass this link on to you as a thank you for your wonderful resources.
I think adding a link on this page would greatly benefit your readers and your site.
Thanks Again :)
Resources You Can Use
Aldwin Ragoonath, a regular contributor to Pneuma Foundation publications, writes to tell us about a new training course available online. "I have completed uploading my lectures on Pentecostal preaching on YouTube. Please share it with others." http://youtu.be/5erTc6NuAI4
Find his channel here: www.youtube.com/user/aldwinragoonath
Pneuma Foundation webmaster, Dave Driggs, recently recommended a site that talks about password padding. https://www.grc.com/haystack.htm
Excerpts from THE PNEUMA REVIEW
THE PNEUMA REVIEW is a quarterly printed journal of ministry resources and theology for Pentecostal and charismatic ministries and leaders. For more information about THE PNEUMA REVIEW, and to learn how to subscribe, please visit: Introducing THE PNEUMA REVIEW. www.pneumafoundation.org/intro_pr.jsp
For a full index of the contents of all Pneuma Review issues, visit: http://www.pneumafoundation.org/pr_archive.jsp.
In order to complete this issue of THE PNEUMA INFORMER while it is still August, no excerpts were able to be included.
- Congratulations to Matt and Kris Kottman, who were married on August 13, 2011. The couple have both served as Pneuma Foundation volunteers.
- Rev. Carmine Saginario, former General Overseer of the Christian Church of North America, now known as the International Fellowship of Christian Assemblies, went home to be with the Lord on Wednesday, August 6th. He was 95 years old.